Ask Caryl: Retaining ASC Staff in a Competitive Market
Q: Two new ASCs are opening in my market. What can I do to keep my staff?
Caryl Serbin: Retaining staff in a competitive market is difficult. There are many components to keeping staff members loyal and happy. Here are some important considerations.
- While salary is rarely the deciding factor, being market-competitive in wages and benefits is essential.
- Feeling valued as a member of the team is extremely important to most employees.
- A positive work environment provides for a cohesive work team that is efficient and supportive of the facility and the individuals involved.
- As the leader, staff look to you for clear direction. Be upfront and honest. Discuss issues with them and work together to set goals and identify ways to change those things that can be changed for the better.
- Keep staff informed. Let them know where the center is doing well and where opportunities remain.
- Address issues quickly, fairly and consistently.
- Provide a safe, supportive environment that produces quality outcomes resulting in a sense of pride for all.
A satisfied employee is less likely to look for other work opportunities.
Have an ASC revenue cycle question? Ask Caryl by emailing email@example.com or fill out the form at the top of this page.
Access archived Ask Caryl columns here.
Never miss a new Ask Caryl by following Serbin Medical Billing's LinkedIn page.