ASC Business Office Staff Tasklists: Scheduler
These tips, part of an ongoing series that identifies ASC business office staff positions and provides suggested responsibilities for auditing purposes and evaluating employee progress, focus on the ASC scheduler.
1. Answers incoming calls on scheduling line(s)
2. Schedules procedures with providers’ offices, requesting suggested CPT code identification and third-party payer information
3. Checks proposed CPT/procedure against ASC’s list of covered procedures to determine eligibility
4. Checks patient’s insurer against list of ASC’s approved providers to determine eligibility
5. Documents the following in software scheduling module: case description, CPT code, length of time needed, type of anesthesia, special equipment needed and implant information (if applicable)
6. Documents the additional information in software scheduling module: correct spelling of patient name, complete demographic and insurance information, and authorization number (if applicable)
7. Notifies clinical director of any special requests for equipment/implants
8. Notifies insurance verification clerk of scheduled case
9. Updates any schedule changes
10. Prints and distributes final updated schedule for next day's cases to appropriate areas by specified time designated by clinical director/administrator
The next set of tips in this series will focus on the Insurance Verification Specialist. Access other tips in this series on ASC staff tasklists.
Never miss a new piece by following Serbin Medical Billing’s LinkedIn page!